SUGGESTION BOX

Got a comment? Help us improve!
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Re: Suggestion Box

Postby Trypetide » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:10 pm

Hey Kaz, it's not obligatory that people have to USE all the width. In fact mostly nobody will.
But well generally I allow a maximum of 800 width wise. Afterward it really depends on how people do their signatures.

And it was 140, not 160 XD

But 120 is really just the neat limit I think.
An example of how my Signature will be; final version will be 117 but I've upped it up to 120 for test sakes.

Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:20 pm

I honestly like the 120px width. I'm trying to picture a page of posts where everyone has the max signature size. Any taller and it would start to become a bit out of control in my opinion.

That said, I have seen signatures that are taller already that are clips from movies, shows, or games in 4x3 or 16x9 that would greatly suffer from a height restriction. I'm torn.

Perhaps the size limit isn't mandatory but recommended?
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:54 am

Well it should be a signature, not "just" a video screencap though. I understand what you means though.

But even so, they can just use the portion of the frame they want anyway, if they really insist on it being directly from a movie or else.
It isn't that much hard cut the Canvas of a gif in the first place, but again just resizing generally works.

Gifs that are just put "as is" are usually used for jokes, posted on a thread, just resized (when they think about resizing it of course XD).
And even here there should be a rule to not post big ones (1) because of the size on the screen obviously 2) because of the weight on the gif),
with an exception of a special "off-topic" reserved to that, or when there is a need for a technical explanation (thinking of the devs sub forums).

But in the end signature will be everywhere, on every posts. Happily Starr Mazer doesn't host them, but as for the size itself, I really think it shouldn't
be that big. I mean, I could have used many things to do my signature, but because I'm reasonable, I adapt to the situation at hand =D

A signature is something that should represent you in the end. So taking a little time to make it right isn't that much asked IMHO.
Or maybe you want all the backers having meme-generated gifs everywhere ? XD

You can have a peek at what it looks like with (Page 1) and without much text (Page 2) + a 270 pixels in height signature on each post, animated.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62

1) Keep in mind that it's my "temporary" signature just so you can see. I'll change it and delete the thread as soon as you finish checking it.
2) ALSO keep in mind that this gif is 3.21mb on size, so multiply this by 10 per page, and you'll have the minimum amount on a page full of
animated gif signatures =D

Again, I'm not talking about "having artistic/technical skills". These days it's really easy to resize & cut things.
If someone got a problem, I'll gladly help them make their signature like they want, they just need to ask =3
As a mod, I'm always up to help people on technical request~

EDIT: I tested 4/3 & 16/9 gifs at 120x. It's largely readable for 94% of them, with or without subtitles (that are generally big enough already XD). Just sayin'
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:42 am

Wow Trypetide! This is great. I definitely understand you point when it comes to Gifs being heavy. 10 5MB Gifs on a forum page will slow people down. With this info, I think might be worthwhile to create a suggested height for signatures. I'm somewhat hesitant to make it a RULE as I don't want to get into arguments or ostracize users just because their signature is too large.

What do you think?
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:45 am

Like I said, it won't really be a "bother". People adapt to forums rules all the time, and I never seen someone complaining about "not being able to post their oversized animated signature".
If you look up a bit on the majority of forums, there is a size restriction for the points & reasons I've made before. It's like a "common" rule in fact.
Now, some prefer "only static pics", others "no more than 200x500, period"... At each their own.

That's why I said I wasn't really restricting the width, but definitely the height.I still think 120x in height in sufficient, even for gifs from TV shows/movies/etc.
The width will never gets as large as the forum (1660x), not counting the ONE original that will want to do it "just because" XD

As for me, I usually stop myself to 120x660. Because it's kind of neat, not too big, not too small.
Also making bigger signatures would broke forums when displayed on Smartphones, for example.
(660 even being a close call somehow.) *Landscape mode only, portrait won't ever be enough XD*

Here's my last used signature

It's less bigger than my future "actual" Starr Mazer one =P (100x VS 120x).

Anyway, to resume.

height : definitively 120x max. Can be discussed, but you saw the results.
Width : doesn't really matter for now (exception can be ask to reduce the stuff a bit in the future... if there is anyone doing it XD)
Weight : Doesn't matter anyway because it's their problem if people can't "see" their signature because it's too large to load in time or whatever.
But, it's also idiotic to overload vainly each forums' page just to let everyone showing their super big animated signature XD (don't even want to think of people with Internet cap at home or on mobile...)

So I still stand with 120 in height, and for the width... 660 would be good. If others want to argue about it, I'm all ears :)
laserkid
Starr Mod

Postby laserkid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:24 pm

yeah I can understand the gif thing which is why I didn't post mine, but on my forum I have my signature and this gif as my sig, but since I don't know what other peoples sigs are here didn't want to overload

and the gif:
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:05 am

Oh my, LK =O

Yours is SO tiny in comparison, don't bother asking. Just put it on my friend.
You even can add more animation frame between each panel of your signature, and make it a bit bigger if you want.
Or make it so it's as big as the one present here, and put it under it. Or whatever XD
laserkid
Starr Mod

Forum folder suggestion: creative works

Postby laserkid » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:39 am

We kind of have a thread about this but its mainly for game dev, but I bet all the mazers have various things they make - I know both Clovis and I write stories, some people may have art (not necessarily fan art though that's awesome too) - I'm suggesting a section where the mazers can show off their creative endeavors in various mediums.

What do you all think, is this something we'd like to see?
Ezraen
True Mazer!

Re: Forum folder suggestion: creative works

Postby Ezraen » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:19 am

I love this idea! Instead of constraining all stuff into just one or two threads we can have an entire subforum where we can have threads for individual projects!

I am 100% totally on board!
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Re: Forum folder suggestion: creative works

Postby Trypetide » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:40 pm

Well, each thread could be created in the "FAN CENTRAL" section.

But they would obviously got mixed with the real "fan arts & co", imagining that one day there will be MANY MAZERS insides our forums =D

So, maybe creating another forum in "Community", called "MAZERS' EXHIBIT" with a little subtitle saying something like
"Are you drawing? Making Music? Games? Food? Coding? Editing videos? Singing? Something else?! Then go ahead and show us your work!!"

At least, it will have its own place, apart from the "off-topic" mess and not mixed in "fan central".

Kazuo, your call =3 (cause I don't have the rights \o/ *thunder*)

EDIT1: I've moved your thread inside this one, Laserkid because it's a "suggestion" for Kazuo =D
EDIT2: Kazuo, can you make it so this thread get "sticky" in this forum, I apparently can't do it myself for whatever reason =S

Return to “%s” Feedback