What I learned from PnC Games!

All things Starr Mazer TV!
Kazuo
Crew member

What I learned from PnC Games!

Postby Kazuo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:23 pm

Hello Mazers!

In this thread we'll talk about different mechanics in various Point-and-Click games! We'll discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly about this fantastic genre!

First up,
The Dig! (1995)

My play through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbEMTTha3ns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVOsl0LiwvA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s80ubw34_m8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8UGiMqMAGI

The good
Heavy focus on telling the story! - Felt engrossing like a film. Wanted to know more constantly.
Beautiful animations. Walking, cinematics, actions, everything just looked wonderful.
Interesting locales. Loved the variation between different locations especially in the alien world.

The bad
Backtracking. Not so bad when you can teleport to the next room with a double click but that Hamster Ball, over and over and over...
Repetition in Dialog. When using commands on NPC's, often times they would say the same thing over and over. Thus prompting me to not go through all dialog options and miss some cool info.
Bad puzzle feedback. On the Lens Light Bridge puzzle, I recognized that the difference in the musical tone it played told me if I was doing it right or wrong HOWEVER having to hold the button down was never really illustrated. Nowhere else do you click and hold and the feedback isn't immediate enough to recognize that clicking without holding is wrong.
Some physical elements were lame. An alien world? Cool! Alien tech? Yeah! The password functions are colors and shapes? Am I 5 years old? C'mon, put a little more imagination into it!

The ugly.
Bait. WHY WOULD THE CHARACTER SAY HE NEEDS BAIT WHEN YOU DON'T?! To trap the mouse in this elaborate trap he says he needs bait so I went off looking for such an item. The truth is all you have to do is maneuver behind the rat to scare him into the trap. That is a fine solution but don't tell me I need an item that doesn't exist!
Trial and error items. A few items feel important like the gold and silver scepters but they're only used in ONE puzzle. But since they looked so important, anytime I came to something new they were added to the list of Try to Combine with and Use Item On.
Serbirus
Starr Mod

Re: What I learned from PnC Games!

Postby Serbirus » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:31 pm

Man Kaz, you listed alot of good points! Hopefully you guys can go back to these types of topics to help Starr Mazer be bigger and better! :D
"Give me the Starr Mazer alpha or die!"
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:07 pm

Machinarium (2009)

The Good
The Art! - Oh my god! So good! This whole thing is dripping with style that just makes the world come alive!
Creative lack of dialog - The game tells the story without a single word. It feels more powerful to see the thought bubble of the bullies stealing and being jerks than an inner monologue "Man, those guys are jerks, they....."
Music - It has great music, simple as that. Perfect amount of ambiance that further fleshes out the world.
Environmental Puzzle - Some great uses of your actions affecting the world to solve a problem! (Insert youtube link when video is finished)
Wonderful item interaction - When investigating a book, how you interact with it and turn pages is awesome! (Insert youtube link when video is finished)
Less item trial and error - Your items are constantly stripped away when they lose their worth making your inventory slim and only key necessary items. No more hauling 20+ items where 18 are completely useless!
Multiple ways to solve a puzzle - In one instance to open a door you need to click on a correct pattern of light bulbs. You get a magnifying glass as an item and you can use to either look at a butterfly to learn the pattern or use it with a projector to view slides that also contain the solution. Brilliant.

The Bad
UI - The game was built in flash so there is NO right click. Would be nice to have it to unsnap your item.
Nonsensical puzzle - One puzzle, a sliding tile puzzle, stands out as out of place. It makes sense in the world that bullies stole instruments, a convoluted mess of pipes exist below the city and a guard stopping you from entering the city. However a sliding tile puzzle connected to the electricity pulled me out of the game and felt completely out of place.
filmette
Crew member

Postby filmette » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:19 pm

More like this! Love seeing your breakdown of the PnC games you played KAZ!
---------------
Rad.
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:54 pm

At least, he doesn't break them down "in real life" like someone else... =D
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:36 pm

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (1992)

The good!
Voice work - Great voice over work. Even though it isn't Harrison Ford I believe the character to be Indiana Jones. Overall great job with delivery!
Art - Great pixel work. The detailed environment in the jungle, busy cities, and overworlds are beautiful. I love the use of color and physical placement of objects.

Some of the Puzzles - Some puzzles are really well placed. Trading items to get the balloon, using acetone to eat old grime, and gears to allow a machine to work properly. These had pretty clear objectives and felt rewarding to slot in the right items or take part in the right dialog choices.
Auto adjusting to a dark room - By far the coolest thing. You're in a dark room and it slowly brightens up. You're eyes adjust both in real life and the game and this little touch really blew me away.

The bad
Items with multiple uses - Some items like the World Stones and the ladder are used multiple times in multiple places. This made many puzzles that continued to utilize these items less special. The first time it was adventurous, the second time was ok, the third time was by the book.
Mother **** not auto picking up items! - Some items are used for multiple puzzles. In many instances you have to use three items to get through a door. Upon going through the door your character will NOT pick the items back up. This resulted in continuing forward only to have to backtrack all the way to re-pick the items back up for the next locked door. You have to remember to continuously pick your crap up like your camping at Yellowstone!
Throw away fighting mechanics - The fights are bad. Bad controls bad everything. No thank you.

Overall: Okay/good.
Some puzzles worked well and I felt like I was pushing the game forward but many item UI issues really bogged down the experience in the late game.
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:07 pm

The Secret of Monkey Island (1990/2010)

The Good!
Writing - The dialog in this game was great! The characters all dripped with personality and I loved it. The voice acting in the special edition also killed it! Loved hearing these characters come to life.
Pixel Art - Once again, beautiful pixel art in this game. I loved all of the backgrounds and characters. Going back and forth between the regular and special edition, most of the time the original is better. There are a few times where the limited resolution caused issues resolving what an item or beckground element was. Also, Lechuck's art is better in the special edition in my opinion.

The Bad
Lack of direction - In all of the other PnCs I've played, for the most part I know what needs to be done to move things forward. In SoMI I was lost more than I would have liked. Need to complete the first three trials to be a pirate? That was cake. Needing a crew to sail the sea, only knew because of the H key. (H drops hints of what to do next)
Nonsensical solutions - So I need to grab a key on the wall but Lechuck hears my footsteps? First thought find alternate route, no. Second thought, use pole to reach keys without walking, no. Ok, stuck. You have to use your compass on it. Somehow it mutes your footsteps to the compass and then silently takes the key. Ughhh...
Story - Overall it was serviceable but could have been so much more. The gist is, you become a pirate, love interest is captured, you go attempt to save her. We have some great characters but it never really comes together. Lechuck never does anything huge. Threepwood just kind of fumbles around on two islands. Overall it just felt wasted.
Sword fighting - I really enjoyed this at first. Verbal jousting to win is actually fun. Two things kill it, grinding to get all of the phrases and the fact that it is only used once! Why not fight Lechuck?

Overall - Just ok.
Had some fun elements but overall I spent more time frustrated than actually enjoying the game.
ashlybranna
Newcomer

Postby ashlybranna » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:18 am

The main thing I learned from PnC Games is NEVER start playing before all your tasks done! I needed to write my homework, I started, was writing for some time and then decided to take rest and play for few minutes. And what u think? I was playing till morning. :x In the morning I was running across apartment, yelling: write my university assignment, help me, ANYBODY! So now I play only after finishing all stuff. But I really like gaming!
chammocks
Newcomer

Postby chammocks » Sun May 22, 2016 1:17 am

Is it possible to learn from pnc game??
In my knowledge i can say its not possible.What can we learn from pnc game??

Return to “%s” Starr Mazer TV