Crazy Ideas? What do you want to see in the game?

General chatter about all things Starr Mazer!
pillbinge
Newcomer

Re: Crazy Ideas? What do you want to see in the game?

Postby pillbinge » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:23 pm

I'd like to see the game in other languages - primarily Russian and Norwegian. I speak both alright and have translated some stuff into English actually, but I can't do it the other way around.
If there are any fans up for the challenge I could work with them in localizing everything.
Serbirus
Starr Mod

Postby Serbirus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:24 pm

Wish I could help Pill, but I bet there's somebody else willing to help with you! Very kind of you to translate it. :)

"Give me the Starr Mazer alpha or die!"
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:48 pm

pillbinge
Newcomer

Postby pillbinge » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:50 pm

I'm on board to help with any Russian, Norwegian, and/or Swedish translations, but I can basically only help. I can translate from those languages into English, but I wouldn't do it the other way around. I find the best translations are done with two people: someone who speaks X fluently and Y natively, and another who speaks X natively and Y fluently.

The last thing I translated was a Norwegian rock album and I did it solo. Believe me, if I had someone I could constantly bounce questions off and who could correct for basic typos and mistakes, that would be the best. So I can do that part if anything. You might not need me at all really, but I'm here to help whomever if they want me.

EDITED FOR: Actually, I had an idea. Maybe you could set up another forum akin to the one for Starr Citizens (which I'll proudly be a member of). One where dedicated members can further register to help out. You could have native speakers meeting other native speakers to work together. You could have English speakers on beck and call for any questions, and who are assigned to groups to help facilitate things and add any clarification. We could also discuss amongst ourselves what some stuff is really saying. You don't want too many cooks but honestly, up to a point, more people collaborating is worth more than the sum of its parts.
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:27 am

Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:57 am

I would really want myself to see characters tied (or not, depends) to sub-quests.
Special characters. Not officially of course, in spirit =3
And not necessarily from old movies, no no.

Still... I think some would be good inspirational materials. Here are some examples:

Like Johnny 5 from "Short Circuit", who would be a spaceship mechanic at a station, being able to cut & repair with his shoulder laser or something.

The little sentient flying saucers from "*Batteries not Included", who would be tourists at a station, or you help them find their original planet and see many others like them on it with different shape and all.

The robots (they have finger lasers~) and inhabitants in the animated movie "Gandahar" (that film is kind of awesome and extremely weird... It always confused me as a child XD ).

The monobikes (armed or not) from VENUS WARS are awesome... Well, EVERYTHING is awesome from this animated movie.
Even with the little flaws he has, it still one that I love deeply. Inspired by the eponymous manga AND directed by it's author , known for being the character design of the early (and some recent) Mobile Suit Gundam~
The Bluray remastered edition is gorgeous B)

I would have many things to post but that a start.
Ezraen
True Mazer!

Postby Ezraen » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:12 am

Completely off topic, but jeez. Venus Wars looks absolutely amazing! *googles for blu ray*
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:45 pm

you'll love it, keep it, and love it more. /offtopic
Serbirus
Starr Mod

Postby Serbirus » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:58 pm

I have a great CRAZY idea. But first, I wanna point out something.

I wanna make sure you guys are 100% aware that just because a whole bunch of classic elements of LucasArts or Sierra PNC, and Konami SHMUPS DON'T make it a good game! You could throw in every single nostalgia element from those games, but you obviously still have to make a GOOD game in it's own right. There have been plenty of games online that while they have those classic bits of retro games of the same genre, they feel they can ignore making original parts too. Take Retro City Rampage, people like the game, but some feel the game is all 80's and 90's references and nothing else. But other games like Mega Man 9 or 10 can still have parts from Mega Man 1 or 2 but are original aswell. I know you guys probably already know this, and I'm rambling about an obvious thing, but I still wanna get it off my chest. (It's been bothering me all day.) Just make sure to have a nice balance of NOSTALGIA and ORIGINAL elements. (But the whole OMG gameplay, the mix of PNC and SHMUP, and the huge amount of creative things I've seen from SMTV, I know you guys already get it. :) )

Anyways, my crazy idea is to have somewhere throughout the Holloway Exeter-Station there are TVs who have a bunch of neat ads you can watch my clicking on them during the PNC parts. One of the many ads you could have could be for a gun called the MXS, and the narrator of it could point out it has the latest of XZ Specs. I don't know, something I just thought of.

"Give me the Starr Mazer alpha or die!"
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:27 pm

These are great ideas!

To go off what Serbirus was saying about balancing nostalgic references in Starr Mazer, Don has talked a lot with the team about Fallout the franchise. He grew up on Wasteland, Fallout 1 and 2 and loved them. However it wasn't until Fallout 3 that he's really felt immersed in the world. Fallout 1 and 2 had so many cultural references like finding a Terminator that it over saturated the experience.

So for Starr Mazer we're going to be riding a fine line. We want jokes, laughs, references but not let it become the Starr Mazer experience.

Return to “%s” General Discussion