Crazy Ideas? What do you want to see in the game?

General chatter about all things Starr Mazer!
skinnytie
Crew member

Re: Crazy Ideas? What do you want to see in the game?

Postby skinnytie » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:16 am

-----
Don Thacker
Co-Founder/Director, Imagos Softworks & Imagos Films
don@imagossoftworks.com

"Unite to Fight for Robot Rights!"
von_ozbourne
Starr Mod

Postby von_ozbourne » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:15 pm

Oh yea. Since the Holloway Exeter got its start as a truck stop, I'm curious if there is an Elite reference (crossover?) maybe just a ship in the general hanger marked C-Mk.III.

Although I guess I should mention, while you guys are clearly not wanting to fall into this trap, the fans agree that any nod or reference to something pop-culturey should be a background or inconsequential element. Something you may get a chuckle out of, but won't matter if you get all the in-jokes or not. Being stuck on a puzzle because I never watched every episode of Star Trek Voyager would be a Dickman made of dicks move.
Serbirus
Starr Mod

Postby Serbirus » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:54 am

"Give me the Starr Mazer alpha or die!"
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:09 pm

Serbirus, that is awesome looking! Your pixel work is always getting better!

I personally think a Trucker's Delight crossover would be cool but to really do it justice we would have to go full on. This causes a problem because Trucker's Delight would push us into an M rating which we are trying to avoid.
von_ozbourne
Starr Mod

Postby von_ozbourne » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:42 am

So worked too late to see the stream live but figured I'd listen to it this morning. AND I hear this part about Auston debating a "player journal" thing, which I for one kind of agree with him that It's kind of a cheap mechanic that gets overused by the "new school" gamers that don't pay enough attention to story and need constant hand holding and giant arrows pointing at the guy/thing they need to interact with next to move on to the next objective while they mash the "skip cut scene" button on the first play-through.
[Pardon me while I get up from my Cranky Kong rocking chair and shoo some darn kids off my pixel lawn]
Anyway, it's too bad I missed it because I immediately thought of something that I think would be neat in those "long gap between play sessions" instances and would have liked to get Auston's opinion on it.
Since Starr Mazer is such a narrative based game and draws so much influence from classic games and such, what about drawing some influence from old Saturday morning cartoons and make some version of the pre-episode recap that they used to remind you about what happened last week before continuing the story?
The problem of course is that you wouldn't really be able to take video/screen captures of your previous play session and have Victor Caroli narrating the different major plot points, but perhaps something like a text crawl with an accompanying close up image of the applicable character. [which would also give us an opportunity to see higher res pixel art of out favorite characters in the game]
It wouldn't be too in depth mind you, just something like "When we last saw our hero, he had just traveled to the planet of Xerxes II. He blew up some space pirates and now they are chasing him. Slimo and Brick parted ways after Slimo almost got vaporized by the pirates. He also took all of the space bucks from their last mission. The Starr Wolf's warp coil needed fixing. While in the shop, Jane saw the ship and decided she wanted it. So far Brick has been able to elude her, but he hasn't seen the last of her. Bunny is still mad at him for some reason. Now back to Starr Mazer!"
The only draw back I can think of is that it does kind of pull you out the present narrative by presenting it as a TV show. Have to get some consensus on that one.
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:48 pm

Von, I'm going to forward this to Auston and see what he thinks. Thanks for the idea!
Auston
Crew member

Postby Auston » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:40 pm

@Von - It's a pretty solid idea. I'm not quite as adverse to the concept of a journal, but I want to make sure we're spending time on the right things. ;) As for the recap bit, you're right in that the implementation would be key. It would be very easy to make it far too big of a feature to actually implement. Depending on the gameplay we need to show, we could actually reload those scenes. We'll need to store a record of the sequence of when we change the world state, but it's possible. In that way we can basically reload what could be considered as an earlier version of your save file and auto play your choices. This gets harder when we want to also replay movement, as that currently isn't deterministic in our game (although it's a goal I want to hit).

I think another way of keeping it relevant is to do it how the Battlestar Gallactica TV series did it, in that they would show clips that might be very old, but are important in the episode that's about to show. We could look at some of the actions you've done in the past that can potentially effect content you have the chance of seeing soon and discuss that.

There's a lot of work to getting a system like that functional and feeling good, but it's a nice solution to both large gaps in gameplay, and forgetting about little things you may have done that will significantly affect upcoming content. Thanks for the idea, and I'll definitely consider it as we build the game.

Return to “%s” General Discussion