What do you want in the game? Banished from the game?

General chatter about all things Starr Mazer!
Kazuo
Crew member

What do you want in the game? Banished from the game?

Postby Kazuo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:43 pm

Serbirus
Starr Mod

Re: What do you want in the game? Banished from the game?

Postby Serbirus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:59 pm

Oh boy, where do I begin?

For PNC:

1: Obviously, a handy UI is good, I don't want to be wasting time scrolling through my inventory to get my blaster out and die because the interface was so badly made.
2: Non-story needed places/puzzles would be cool. Something that doesn't need to be made strictly to advance the story but just to be fun or give you an extra item/bucks. Even places that don't give you anything but are just fun to explore and hang out in, like a bar you can drink in or play beats on the jukebox. (I made this idea yesterday on how some samples Alex makes that can't be put anywhere in the game could be songs in the jukebox, just a thought.)
3: You already pointed this out, but a quick, smooth and fast travel system is almost necessary. You don't want the player being taken out of the game's beautiful and rich story because they have to watch a long, unnecessary cutscene or go through yet the same SHMUP section.
4: Realistic puzzles. Basically, puzzles that would actually make sense being there, not some hair-pulling puzzle just to turn on a TV. (Unless, of course, there are abnormal circumstances to WHY the puzzle is complicated.) The puzzles should be there for a good reason, not just to add to the gameplay time and distract the player.
5: Little things. You know, funny idle animations, neat references to other games/TV shows/movies, little creative billboards/ads through the Holloway-Exeter Station. Just things that will make the player chuckle and be like "Wow, that was a nice little touch!"
6: Free exploration. I doubt you guys aren't gonna do this, but just incase... Free exploration is a MUST for such a neat, beautiful, and complex world Starr Mazer is. I don't want to be constantly going here and there, doing this and that, I wanna explore the many places Starr Mazer has! I honestly don't know one PNC game that limits you to taking a linear path to where you need to know, but I thought I'd point it out for the heck of it!
7: Items with multiple uses. Who says that plasma blaster can ONLY be used to break the barrier into the Diska Hideout, why not also have it be used for side quests? Items that have more than their necessary use would be great!
8: Being able to reuse useless items. This kind of applies to Trypetide's comment about putting useless items in the Starr Wolf, and I agree. Why not be able to use items for fun after they've been used for the game's sake? As long as she specifically states it's useless and is only used for fun, you should be able to grab past items for the heck of it.

For SHMUP:
1: Taking other enemies ships was an ingenious idea you pointed out, and I totally agree! Especially the whole "have to hack into the ship to be able to fly it" is really neat, cause it adds alot of realism towards how complicated it probably WOULD be to steal one. (Which is something I explained in the whole realistic puzzles bit for the PNC sections.)
2: Variation? I mean, SHMUPS are made for left-to-right and nothing else for the most part, but maybe making some type of variation here and there could be nice. Maybe switching to a vertical view in one section, having it be like Parodius and be silly and wacky, (Although it would probably would detract from Starr Mazer's story... Maybe have it be an unlockable stage after you beat the game?) or have the Starr Wolfe have some type of limitation? Which brings me on to my next point..
3: Interactive Starr Wolf customizations. I kinda worded that weird, but I'm basically saying differences in the Starr Wolf's capabilities that's up to the player to change. Such as him not being able to shoot a triple shot cause it got busted while doing the previous mission, and can only be repaired through a certain amount of money the player can't get at the moment. I think it'd really help the player figure out how important it is not to screw up instead of going all willy nilly, like in real life!

And now for the things Starr Mazer DOESN'T need!

For PNC:

1: Clique, unoriginal story. No more of that "the world needs saving, and this girl hates you at first but then you slowly bond a relationship and fall in love" story, something that really differs itself from other PNC games.
2: Please GOD no in-game tutorials! If anything pisses me off more it's when games give you some type of break and give you a hint of some sort. I suppose hints that the player can CHOOSE to use would be okay, but ones that eventually come up if the player doesn't advance the story within a certain time is a no-no to me. This game is supposed to be like retro PNC/SHMUPS of it's time, so please make it act like one too!
2: Unlikeable characters that shouldn't be. How can the player enjoy playing as a character and wanting to make him a hero when the players themselves don't enjoy him? If the character the player's playing as it extremely negative, annoying, mean, etc. in game, why would you think they'd feel bad when he dies, or happy if he gets the girl? Lack of a good personality for the Brick is something the player would want least, cause the whole point is that they want him to conquer the evil and make him more than all the other people throughout the game. But if the player could care less about him being sad or depressed, then that could ruin quite alot of the story for Starr Mazer.
3: Forgetful gameplay. Again, don't know how to word it, but I'm saying missions that, if the player were to forget, would be completely stumped because of it. I know you pointed out how Starr Mazer should get rid of inventory items when they've been used to their maximum, and I 100% COMPLETELY AGREE! Nobody should think this item might work there and waste time because they don't know that it's been used to it's full potential. But regardless, if there were some type of mission that required a code they found, and the player plays Starr Mazer 3 months later and forgets, he's completely stuck... So just make sure there's always a way a player can figure out a puzzle they may have forgotten. (And a list of the current mission on what Brick needs to do would be nice, such as how GTA has a brief section shows the last thing somebody said it case they couldn't see what the mission was or what to do/how to do it.)

For SHMUP:
1: Unfair boss difficulty. A boss that's heard not for actually being a challenge, but for unfair blows to the player that they couldn't control/act in time. Such as quick time events the player doesn't have time to dodge, bullet paths without being able to dodge somehow, or enemy spawns that never end until the player gets hit once. I feel a good way to design a SHMUP section, would be to see if a SHMUP player of good skill could beat it on the first try. Sure, Auston could beat this boss with EXTREMELY quick bullets that take up half of the screen and are nearly impossible to dodge, because he programmed it. Obviously he might now the pattern or see it coming. But if somebody who has just played the level for the first time dies due to it, it might be because of lack of any type of caution to the player. Just a quick warning message on where it's gonna be could fix the problem, so it shouldn't be hard to fix IF IT HAPPENS.
2: Un-satisfying deaths. This also applies in the PNC part too, but I feel death happens more in the SHMUP sections. Let's say you hate a boss/character and can't wait for the day you blow him straight to the hell depths of where he came from, and when you finally do kill the sucker it feels boring and unsatisfying. The way SHMUPs are so much fun sometimes is because even the SMALLEST of enemies feel SUPER satisfying when you destroy them. So make sure that if you make a character that's MADE for hating, that his death makes the player feel like all the crap he told him finally came back to hurt him and that they can see him slowly die with a smile on their face.
3: Uninteresting visuals. I already know the visuals of Starr Mazer, and I can say that they look beyond great! But regardless, I still wanna point this out. Having boring and bland visuals will make the SHMUP sections feel kinda boring, but adding alot of color and POP will totally make them better! Just wanted to say that. ;)

Alright, I think I've pointed out things I wouldn't enjoy in Starr Mazer for now. I seriously doubt the game will have any of these problems, but it's nice that you guys understand things we don't want. Some devs wouldn't even listen to what the fans want, but luckily you guys are WAY different, and I'm sure it'll all pay off in the end. :)

"Give me the Starr Mazer alpha or die!"
laserkid
Starr Mod

Postby laserkid » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:52 pm

For PnC:

WANTS:

-Item combos! These things always were fun in how you could take a few things, put them together and gwet a new thing, probably not as wacky as say monkey island, but being able to improvise items as at least an optional way to solve puzzles would be fun
-Lots of things to see and to find - characters say new things as things change - bvasically keeping the options wide and varied

DO NOT WANT:

- any item that if you miss you can not go back for, but then later need to complete a puzzle
-Sounds like it's heading this way anyway, but no deaths - I am very much in the Lucasarts PnC side, not so much the Sierra side

for SHMUPS:

WANTS:

-Awesome weapon upgrades
-Difficulty curve, let me get used to the mechanics before thigns get too crazy

DO NOT WANT

-I beg you, no bullet hell
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:50 pm

Serbirus
Starr Mod

Postby Serbirus » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Good God Trypetide, you hit the mark on so many cool/neat ideas. Every single thing I read I agreed with completely. The scanline idea, minigames that you don't play in the actual Starr Mazer campaign, (Really would detract from the experience.) the camera always being in one place, subtle fourth wall breaks that don't stop the flow of seriousness, so many good things you pointing out! I actually did point out some of the things you listed. Minigames, being able to see past conversations, idle animations, (Or just neat little things in general.) and a couple other things. I really think they should look over those things when they want to look for some cool ideas, cause there's ALOT of good stuff you listed! B) You did good, Pig... You did good.

"Give me the Starr Mazer alpha or die!"
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:33 am

A good little article about filter effect "without" shaders =D

http://www.magneticrealms.com/posts/201 ... t-shaders/
skinnytie
Crew member

Postby skinnytie » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:34 am

-----
Don Thacker
Co-Founder/Director, Imagos Softworks & Imagos Films
don@imagossoftworks.com

"Unite to Fight for Robot Rights!"
skinnytie
Crew member

Postby skinnytie » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:41 am

-----
Don Thacker
don@imagossoftworks.com

skinnytie
Crew member

Postby skinnytie » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:02 am

-----
Don Thacker
don@imagossoftworks.com

Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:31 am

That's what you get for not being on the forums before \( ^-^)/

Joke aside, if you need more precision on these ideas or else, ask me.
I know many things won't match the vision you and Imagos have for the game, but being blind of information and details right now, that's all what came to mind.
I'll surely have other thing to point out whenever we're getting more into production~

Now, go check the shmup section >XD !!

Return to “%s” General Discussion