Are you making/learning something? [Web/App/Game Dev Talk.]

A hub for all things Mazer created! Are you an artist, musician, writer? Post some of your awesome stuff here!
Ezraen
True Mazer!

Are you making/learning something? [Web/App/Game Dev Talk.]

Postby Ezraen » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:23 pm

Gather 'round and let us share experiences and wisdom.

This is a thread for those learning or making programs, apps or games; as well as for those who just wish to participate in the discussion. You want to talk about game dev problems? Here is the place. Stuck and need help? Ask here! Want to know where to start? We might have some nuggets of information for you to absorb into your mindspace.

I shall begin this thread by telling you all a little bit about myself. Sure, by day I am an ordinary joe working a (mostly) thankless support job for a major email app for iOS/android, but by night I don my thinking cap and wisdom cape and sit down to learn SKILLS. What skills, you may ask? Skills to fuel my ambitions, of course. I've always been interested in making games, and I've done my share of learning in the past so that i have a foundation to stand on when starting my own game development (C++ and Python mainly). But then my wants and needs are always changing and I found myself on the lookout for something that fit those new needs.

And I found it in HTML5. And now I've set out to learn HTML5 and Ruby on Rails to give myself a solid understanding of web development. I'm planning on looking into game frameworks for HTML5 as soon as I'm done learning it. My ultimate goal is to make a text-based, browser-based visual novel/RPG hybrid. I'm super excite bike about the future. (EDIT: In case you're curious, I'm already looking at some HTML5 game frameworks and right now looks the most interesting.)

What are you guys making? Or learning? Or do you have questions? Let us mingle. :D
Serbirus
Starr Mod

Re: Are you making/learning something? [Web/App/Game Dev Talk.]

Postby Serbirus » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:34 pm

Well, for me I'm trying to not only get into pixel art, but game creation. Me and Adam are planning on making a game for next months game jam, me art and him code, but I'd love to be able to help with the coding myself. I really hope with enough determination and understanding, I could atleast code little knick knack games you'd see around Newgrounds or Kongregate...

"Give me the Starr Mazer alpha or die!"
Ezraen
True Mazer!

Postby Ezraen » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:27 am

Adam
Site Admin

Postby Adam » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:52 am

I will make sure to toss a link up here. It's just going to be a simple little game, but it'll hopefully be a fun one! We've kicked around a couple ideas of what we might like to do. I really like the idea he had about doing a G&W style game!
Ezraen
True Mazer!

Postby Ezraen » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:14 am

Awesome! I look forward to seeing it when it's done! :D
laserkid
Starr Mod

Postby laserkid » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:00 pm

I used to tinker with RPG Maker XP, but I'm not sure how much that counts for anything. xD
Auston
Crew member

Postby Auston » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:07 pm

RPG maker totally counts! Some of my first games were in RPG Maker 95. I wish I had shown them to more people. I didn't really understand the idea of play testing at the time. I just wanted to make things because it was fun, but I could have improved my skills a lot if I had other people play them :)

I've been learning a lot of stuff recently, specifically improving my understanding of lighting in my drawings. Although my main interest at the moment is machine learning. I saw a GDC talk that opened up my mind to some of its potential uses. I'd like to use it for some game AI in the future.
Serbirus
Starr Mod

Postby Serbirus » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:12 pm

Well, I hope I can grasp how Pyxel Edit works, cause I'd love it more than anything to get into Game Jams with Fuzz and make cute little games every month, plus it would help me learn pixel art more! Killing two birds with one stone! (BA DUM-TSS) Get it? Cause brick... and that's his.. name... *sigh*

"Give me the Starr Mazer alpha or die!"
laserkid
Starr Mod

Postby laserkid » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:33 pm

Well, if RPG Maker counts anyone that wants to subject themselves to it, the closest to a finished game I have is one based on my own forum, install instructions are at http://www.ultrapublications.com/forum/ ... f=6&t=2860 (you need the RTP first otherwise I'd just link the zip file with the game) feel free to mock my silliness xD
Adam
Site Admin

Postby Adam » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:46 pm

@serbirus another thing you can do is look for local dev meetups in your area! You never know what could come out of going!

Return to “%s” Mazer Creations