I'm Alex Mauer... probably

New to Starr Mazer? Introduce yourself!
Alex
Newcomer

I'm Alex Mauer... probably

Postby Alex » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:42 am

Hi! Please confirm or deny my existence. I'm Alex Mauer, co-founder of Imagos Softworks and in-house composer for Imagos Films. I like emotionally vivid music, living art, abstract everything, surrealism, absurdity, virtual and actual reality, and stuff.

I worked on a bunch of games for EA Mobile, Penny Arcade TV, a bunch of indie things, and many Imagos Films productions including Motivational Growth. My favorite games: Mega Man 5, Zelda 2, Metroid 1, Cave Story, Chrono Trigger... and a bunch of really obscure ones. I collect nothing. Ask me anything.
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Re: I'm Alex Mauer... probably

Postby Trypetide » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:13 am

Firs of all, you're the real one, I confirm.

Now, I'm really glad and even a little proud (the perk of being a backers ='3 !) to have you on board and to see you deliver a sound that will last for generations~ ("starting with the RIGHT ONE" - Don Thacker, 2015)
Love your music, love the "personnage", nothing to report on that. And if something goes wrong at some point, we're sure your lovely wife will BLAST you for it.

Now what hopes and vision you have for the game, sound wise firstly ?
What do you prefer -as of now- in the project, generally speaking ? And what do you think will need a real work in your opinion ?
What do you think of video game Japanese composers' influence in term of cheaptune style of music (8-Bit, 16-bit and beyond), same with Western/European ones, in general ? And personally ?
Did you love your cameo in the Alternat Starr Mazer poster ? =D *wink wink*

What do you expect from us, backers (not talking making music), during the development of SM, concerning the sound and music of the game ?

And why DON ? =D *mega wink*
Alex
Newcomer

Postby Alex » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:39 pm

Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:47 pm

I don't know exactly why, but I knew you would answer like this XD
Anyway, thanks for the future awesomeness of the past that will be our present soon ~
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:26 am

Hello Alex! Glad you joined us on the forums!
WoodrowShigeru
Newcomer

Postby WoodrowShigeru » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:30 pm

Hi Alex.
Have you ever worked, or considered working, with dynamic music? I'm referring to , or something similar.

I've always been fascinated by chiptune music, and I've even dabbled a tiny bit with Lsdj – but if I personally ever got/get into it more seriously, making dynamic music for games would definitely be a thing I'd like to try.
-[ Woodrow ]-
Alex
Newcomer

Re: iMUSE

Postby Alex » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:19 pm

Woodrow,

I haven't heard of iMUSE until right now. It seems really cool. I've done dynamic music in some other game projects before but nothing as complicated as what's described in your link. We're using FMOD for Starr Mazer so technically we can do dynamic music, and have plans for interesting usage of sounds/music.
WoodrowShigeru
Newcomer

Postby WoodrowShigeru » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:24 pm

Don't tell me you've never played the Monkey Island games! =o :^D

Cool, I would like to see Austin and you collaborate on a Starr Jamz or .Make episode for the implementation of this "interesting usage of sound/music". Though, watching him just implementing your assets would be cool, too. The sketches sound great, so far!
-[ Woodrow ]-
WoodrowShigeru
Newcomer

Postby WoodrowShigeru » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:02 pm

What do you know? I just found a video that explores the – by now – many, many options for adaptive soundtracks.

That's exactly what I was talking about.
Last edited by WoodrowShigeru on Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-[ Woodrow ]-
Alex
Newcomer

Postby Alex » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Yeah I like that effect :) Hopefully we can get something like that in some part of Mazer.

Return to “%s” Welcome Center