Kazuo
Crew member

Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata

Postby Kazuo » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:35 am

Serbirus
Starr Mod

Re: Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata

Postby Serbirus » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:52 am

Yes, may this man forever be remembered. Games such as Kirby's Dream Land, Super Smash Bros, and even Earthbound wouldn't even be made if it weren't for this legend of a game designer. His nice personality always made people smile, and he never gave up throughout even the roughest of times. He even cut HIS OWN PAYCHECK so Nintendo didn't have to fire anybody. If that doesn't show a nice man I don't know what does...

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.”

R.I.P. Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015

:(

"Give me the Starr Mazer alpha or die!"
laserkid
Starr Mod

Postby laserkid » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:54 pm

I believe this sums up my feelings (warning big image):

lunarcore
Newcomer

Postby lunarcore » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:01 pm

man, this broke my heart when i heard it.

i have tremendous respect for Iwata, for a lot of reasons. especially when it comes to his absolutely God-tier programming skills. dude was basically entirely responsible for the Kanto region in Pokemon Gold & Silver, single-handedly reprogrammed Earthbound pretty much from nothing halfway through development, basically saving SMB: Melee in like, two or three weeks... the man was crazy. my favorite story is about when he used to hand-write memory dumps to disassemble them at home. that's not taking into account stuff like his taking a 50% paycut as CEO when WiiU was failing so that employees at the bottom didn't get laid off or lose income/benefits.

the industry lost more than just a cool gaming-sphere "personality" or "celebrity". they - and we - lost a giant that defined the very best of what gaming is, and what gaming is actually about.
modern_nosferatu
"I feel like it's not fair that they have a helicopter!"
von_ozbourne
Starr Mod

Postby von_ozbourne » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:57 pm

I just heard of this and don't really know what to say, but feel compelled to say something. I can't help but think that the man was so much more than the CEO of my favorite game company. In a world where CEOs are typically horrible people who are only concerned with maintaining their own power and wealth - appeasing shareholders only as it suits their own goals - Satoru Iwata seemed genuine and nice and more than just a suit. His family, Nintendo, the games industry and gamers all feel this loss. I can't help but wonder what will happen within Nintendo going forward, but frankly I'm still too stunned to speculate. I'm pretty sure they will, but I just hope they will do his memory proud.
Adam
Site Admin

Postby Adam » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:52 am

Return to “%s” Off-Topic