Shenmue III on kickstarter

General off-topic discussions
Kazuo
Crew member

Re: Shenmue III on kickstarter

Postby Kazuo » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 pm

Was Shenmue not released any wider than Xbox and Dreamcast?
laserkid
Starr Mod

Postby laserkid » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:46 pm

Sadly, no.

I don't think the original Shenmue's ever been ported to anything for sure. Shenmue II was built for the dreamcast, and released for it in Japan and the UK, but later ported to the Xbox original, which is how we got it at all here in the states.

As far as I know, no other editions have been made.
pillbinge
Newcomer

Postby pillbinge » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:11 pm

Shenmue was one of my favorite games. It came out at a time when being immersed like that was crazy. I'd imagine if I went back and played it I simply wouldn't have the patience for it anymore though. Would be sweet if they released it on the PC or something. I had the second one for XBOX here in the US but I never really cared for it. I don't know why. I think I was too in love with the first to switch over to China and explore a new land and aesthetic. I loved living Shenmue - I honestly didn't care for the story. I just watched a little playthrough and I forgot about the whole mirror thing.

As for the Kickstarter, it explicitly goes against the nature of it. It doesn't break any rules I don't think, but Kickstarter was made (by their admission) so that people could fund independent projects over which they have complete creative control and retain all of the profits after paying out rewards. With publishers and big companies like Sony involve, they'll have to answer to people and change a lot of creative stuff. Businessmen are notorious for not taking risks and not shaking a boat as long as it's profitable (and also lashing out when something doesn't go well). The team also won't retain all the profits and will have to rely on backend or whatever cut they get. Shenmue was great but it wasn't independent. It was a Sega game.
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:09 pm

laserkid
Starr Mod

Postby laserkid » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:46 pm

LOL good point I brainfarted there.

And yeeeah I totally imported the UK Shenmue II Dreamcast release, still have it.
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:33 pm

Oh man, so much hype surrounding Shenmue. Hopefully with the recent success with Shenmue 3 they might make an HD anthology or something. :)
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:31 am

For now I think Yu Suzuki is in hard discussions with SEGA to see if they have the will to put some money to do an HD collection.
There is at least 2 years for that, so they have largely the time, but it will eventually helps a lot the campaign if it's officialized
before its end.

But the major problem with this campaign, and that's very sad, is that they don't have a community manager.
Only a "kickstarter project makers" company that is sort of a laughing stock right now: Awesome Japan.
They also don't seem to "want" to be present among the backers, to answers here and there whenever they would be able to.
There is litteraly NO comments on the comments section from the managers of the campaign.
Maybe one or two MAX on all the few updates they've done.

And apart from little updates with promo videos "à la" Japanese (aka doesn't let you know much and should've be present on the
front page since DAY ONE) and other informations that doesn't say much... There is a ridiculous amount of transparency.
The twitch session they've done (mostly 2 weeks after the start of the campaign XD) was a sort of recap of all infos we were already
aware of. Okay that's good that it makes them more "official", but that still doesn't advance the stuff.

The front page is a mess. Even more for newcomers on the series. Even more because a video prototype was used to pitch the
kickstarter that is kind of "not good", Yu Suzuki's word, but is still up there XD !!
The rewards are all over the place and not really well thought IMHO.
Annnnnnd... Well, having a goal of $2M from the start was an error. They should have asked for more.
Especially because now we know that the real "minimum" goal is $5M and the "correct" goal is $10/11M.
Frankly I think with the late 48H rush we'll have a chance to get to the $5M, and why not with a little push make it so Shenmue III
beats Bloodstained record by just a few bucks.

If nothing change right now on their PR side, if they don't get a KAZUO mode BERSERK NOAW, they won't get much ='3
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:14 am

Sounds like their PR campaign is very reserved, very Japanese. I wonder if their primary target audience with the Kickstarter was Americans or Japanese.
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:11 am

It would be exclusively done like for the Japanese market, it would have been even worse.

But Japan isn't really the target here, and that's where all their PR BS made of silence can't work.
Even more, it's not just "announcing" a game, it's "crowdfunding" it XD

in the past, Shenmue on dreamcast sold 1.5 million copies worldwide (500,000 in japan).
Shenmue 2 did 600,000 copies in Europe & Japan, on Dreamcast (with only 50,000 for japan).

And well, the Dreamcast being from SEGA, SEGA being viewed by the Japanese as an "American company" due to its original roots,
there wasn't really a great park of Dreamcast in there, plus the imminent arrival of the PS2 didn't helped either.
AND well Sega being Sega, and finishing by killing itself, just also terminated the series at the same time.

Now, crowdfunding is still a kind of mysterious beast in Japan. And even if Famitsu did an article on Shenmue and its Kickstarter
recently, that was just a tiny drop in the sea out there.

Now, Awesome Japan IS a Japanese company, even if they got some people that can "talk & understand" English, they still act
Japanese-business style. Their promo plan is horrible (even on Japanese standard). They clearly don't have a grasp on what to do.
The only way Shenmue can get a little more funding would be to push the campaign for another month. But why bother if they
still don't do sh*t XD

What do you think of how they manage this catastrophe Kazuo ?
Maybe as a "Japanese speaker" AND good Community Manager AAA, you can reach them and wake them up before the end ? :|?

How to promote Starr Mazer even more : Saving the "SAVE SHENMUE" campaign XD !!
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:40 am

That's an interesting idea, saving the Shenmue campaign. Quick glance, with how much people are hyped about this game, they definitely need more 1,000s dollar tiers.

Return to “%s” Off-Topic