Holy crap, a swat kats revival kickstarter?!

General off-topic discussions
laserkid
Starr Mod

Holy crap, a swat kats revival kickstarter?!

Postby laserkid » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:32 am

So, I figure, like me, there's some overlap for those of us who appreciate what starr mazer is, and those of us who appreciated the 90s cartoon Swat Kats

Well...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... revolution

It's already funded but if anyone wants to get some extras out of it, there's that, plus just knowing one of the few bright spots of the dark age of televisions getting continued warms my heart. :)
Ezraen
True Mazer!

Re: Holy crap, a swat kats revival kickstarter?!

Postby Ezraen » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:11 am

I love Swat Kats, but this was a seriously lackluster kickstarter. Not only do they NOT produce any episodes if they are funded, but their rewards are really lacking. The only thing that even remotely interested me was the t-shirt, but the design was meh. They're aiming for 1.5+ million dollars, but have barely gotten 100k. They need twice that in 13 days to just make ONE episode.

I mean, I love Swat Kats. But $25 for a post card and nothing else? Not even the episode? What? There are 4 reward tiers under $50, and 18 over $65. And each just increases exponantially without adding anything cool. $100-120 for a limited edition art print, and NOTHING ELSE? I'm.. No. I'm sorry, but I'm not interested. I want that episode, but just looking at this kickstarter.. It's not gonna happen.
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:37 am

Woaw.

Didn't expected to see this one coming back to life, indeed.

Well, I'm still not that much accustomed to the universe, followed the animated version a long time ago, for a short period.
At least my memories are saying that it was fun, so yeah. Really happy to see it funded =3
rex705
Veteran

Postby rex705 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:12 pm

I love the swat kats and was very excited about this but then like Ezraen said you get nothing out of it and they don't even make any episodes. If this was for a full new epic series I would back in a heartbeat but throwing money at my screen for nothing at all is kinda pointless.

"The images they sell are Illusion and Dream In other words dishonesty"
laserkid
Starr Mod

Postby laserkid » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:24 am

Well, yes - it's not getting produced via kickstarter directly - what the kickstarter does is allow them to get a serious pitch made so they can actually go get it made - this isn't something I'd fund for rewards, but the hope that with the success they can make a successful pitch.
von_ozbourne
Starr Mod

Postby von_ozbourne » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:30 pm

It's funny I remember being aware of Swat Cats, but it kind of got lost in the shuffle of '90s cartoons like Bucky O'Hare, Biker Mice from Mars, Battletoads, Street Sharks and other anthropomorphized animals that came out after the popularity of the original TMNT cartoon. Although I didn't really watch many episodes of any of those shows due to my being a teenager already by the time most of those shows aired and being more into anime style stuff at the time.
I think the other thing was that I didn't really like Hanna Barbera's trademark animation style anymore [yes I am aware of the irony of having just said I liked anime] though from what I did see, Swat Kats is leagues better than Scoopy Doo and Yogi Bear.
Although I suppose I should be thankful of Hanna Barbera, because if they didn't see so much success from the cheap animation techniques, Disney wouldn't have tried to copy their model in the '70s, which lead to the disgruntled animator who quit Disney to start Don Bluth Productions.

...okay I got slightly off-topic there, but yea, I hope it works out for the guys, but I can't really see myself throwing money at this one. Even if it did amount to more than what kind of rubs me as basically an online auction at the higher tiers.

Return to “%s” Off-Topic