Good work laptop?

General off-topic discussions
Ezraen
True Mazer!

Good work laptop?

Postby Ezraen » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:33 am

I'm kind of in a spot. My old lappy just died, I managed to salvage all the data; but he wont be able to be fixed. He held his own for almost 10 years, so it was around time for him to enter the eternal void (RIP Lappy 2006-2015). But life goes on, and I am in dire need of a replacement. Do any of you have any laptop, notebook, hybrid or anything recommendations? Basically, it needs to be portable, have a semi-big screen (10" or 11.5" for hybrids, 15"+ for laptops, etc). I am mostly going to be working with an office suite and browsers (excel sheets, yay).

A huge plus would be if it could run super simple games (ROM, CrossCode, Undertale, etc), but it's not a requirement. The budget I'm working with right now is $300, preferably lower. Probably would've been better if Lappy had died a week ago. xD

EDIT: I just wanted to mention, I would prefer a Windows device over an Android device; but if the device is good enough for the price, I would use an android.
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Re: Good work laptop?

Postby Trypetide » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:13 pm

I don't remember well the actual good models available out there depending on the brands, but for your use, if this "little games" work on it, just get a new Surface 3, it's literally a little portable PC with a complete Windows 10 (not a cheap version like the ancient Surface) and work pretty well for what it's worth. Many client liked it. There is a promotion on it with Office and the Keyboard if I recall right ~

Afterward you can lurk on the Surface 4, for something more beasty with a bigger screen, more powerful, and with Windows 10 Professional (that let you choose whenever you want to update Windows, something the other version won't let you do, among other stuff).

Afterward it really depends on what you expect from a screen (view, quality, refreshment rate...), how much HDD space and if you want a classical one or an SSD (adviced), weight, how many USB port, SD card or not, etc etc etc...

B)
Ezraen
True Mazer!

Postby Ezraen » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:33 pm

Surface Pro 3 is something I've been looking at a lot. I've been debating with myself, trying to justify the cost. I really want it. Everyone only has good things to say about it.
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:03 am

Well I'm more inclined to offer Asus alternative most of the time, portable wise, but in your case that wouldn't necessarily be the smartest way to go (money / usefulness).

The only downside with the Surface his the official keyboard, it's cool but you have to test it first before getting one because it's really "peculiar" (and expensive, but well done for what it does).
Hence Microsoft's offer with office + keyboard + Cover (for free).

Return to “%s” Off-Topic