Who likes anime?!

General off-topic discussions
laserkid
Starr Mod

Who likes anime?!

Postby laserkid » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:58 pm

I sure do, though I'm an odd anime fan that prefferes English dubs most of the time (unless the dub is awful, my primary example is DBZ, though I do enjoy both the original dragonball and dragonball z kai dubbed), but I am very much into the medium, and want to see what everyone else thinks/likes.

I'm especially a sucker for shonen jump anime, but I do have a wider interest in other anime. Just to give you an idea here's an excel spreadsheet in my dropbox I made of anime I owned with details on how and color coded based on how I liked it because I'm such a nerd: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1a0rf2ycdtzrs ... .xlsx?dl=0

Anyway, what do you guys think about anime?
Serbirus
Starr Mod

Re: Who likes anime?!

Postby Serbirus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:12 pm

While not a big anime fan, (I've only seen the first season of Dragon Ball.) I don't understand why listening to English dubs is bad. Hmm, maybe I want to, you know, UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY'RE SAYING! I mean really, even Japanese animes with English subtitles is still more inconvenient, why does listening to English dubs somehow make you "not a true anime fan?"

"Give me the Starr Mazer alpha or die!"
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:12 pm

That is a pretty intense list! I enjoy the few anime films I have seen like Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, and other classics. Could never get into serial anime. I've always liked story arches that can be concluded in a standard feature length.
laserkid
Starr Mod

Postby laserkid » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:43 pm

@Serbirus, I don't get that either, as my list shows I'm very much a fan, but yeah generally I prefer dubs myself also.

@Kazuo - I can respect that, a lot of the earliest anime I got into were movies like Windaria, Project A-Ko and 8 Man After, so I can understand wanting shorter stuff - but as a story writer at heart I just love watching characters change and grow and that's best shown over longer stories - probably why my favorites tend to be super long (One Piece and Dragonball come to mind)
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:04 pm

[quote="I can respect that, a lot of the earliest anime I got into were movies like Windaria, Project A-Ko and 8 Man After, so I can understand wanting shorter stuff - but as a story writer at heart I just love watching characters change and grow and that's best shown over longer stories - probably why my favorites tend to be super long (One Piece and Dragonball come to mind)[/quote]

I guess I have enjoyed a few anime series that have a season's worth of show. They tend to be few and far between though. I think the last one I really enjoyed, a bit embarrassingly, was Steel Angel Kurumi. I don't know, something about robots powered by love and jealousy was just awesome.
lunarcore
Newcomer

Postby lunarcore » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:15 pm

i love animes!

well, maybe not. i'm woefully out of the loop culturally and don't really know much about anything released recently, but anime was a huge part of the design blueprints during my prototype stages and so the build remnants are still there. i usually have subtitles on just because i prefer closed captioning, but i never hated a dub even if it was bad.

like Kaz, i could never get too deep into serials (anime or otherwise, to be honest) with a few exceptions, and always preferred movies, OVAs. having said that, one of my absolute favorite anime titles is Armored Trooper VOTOMS which had 52 episodes (and an amazing spin-off, Armor Hunter Mellowlink). so, i'm willing to bend the rules a little.

there's just something about early anime (and JRPGs, for that matter) that appeal to me in a very specific way, aesthetically.

EDIT: and of course LAWL my signature pic is from Space Adventure Cobra, another fav.
modern_nosferatu
"I feel like it's not fair that they have a helicopter!"
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:19 pm

laserkid
Starr Mod

Postby laserkid » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:31 pm

There's definitely something unique about the 80s and 90s anime - while I don't prefer the super dark stuff, I can totally appreciate masterpieces like Neon Genesis Evangelion, or the aforementioned windaria.

For me it's all in the art style of those eras - look at something like Outlaw Star and you just have such huge creative amazingness, and then you look at modern shows and sometimes there's just something missing.

Other times though, you get epic craziness like Gurren Lagann.
lunarcore
Newcomer

Postby lunarcore » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:51 pm

modern_nosferatu
"I feel like it's not fair that they have a helicopter!"
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:59 pm

Return to “%s” Off-Topic