Who likes anime?!

General off-topic discussions
laserkid
Starr Mod

Re: Who likes anime?!

Postby laserkid » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:42 pm

As both my avatar and sig point to, for me its dragon ball and megaman from that era that really gets my blood pumping in terms of aesthetics.
pillbinge
Newcomer

Postby pillbinge » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:24 pm

Ezraen
True Mazer!

Postby Ezraen » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:35 pm

I love the animes. I don't own a lot anymore (most of my collection was sadly destroyed long ago), but I watch streams and I still have some old VHS tapes and manga from the 1990s. Sweden has a rich heritage of importing and dubbing japanese cartoons going as far back as the 1970s. We've been airing it on public TV since the late 80s. However, all of it was done by one company and they had like 10 VAs doing ALL the voices. It was kind of hilarious. The VAs nowadays are a bit more plentiful.

Some Good Recommendations:
Grave of the Fireflies (rated I cried out of I am forever emotionally scarred).
Ghost in the Machine (rated invisible cyber ninjas out of a transhumanistic future).
Fist of the North Star (rated Mad Max started lifting out of human gore detonation).
Sailor Moon (rated how is this even a disguise? out of how do the bad guys NOT KNOW usagi is sailor moon??? I mean... really. Love it though.).
Moldiver (rated some guys annoying sister steals his supersuit and becomes a superhero out of hilarious parody, though only 6 episodes).
Armored Trooper Votoms (rated just look at this opening. Now download or buy the anime.)
lunarcore
Newcomer

Postby lunarcore » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:51 pm

excellent ratings and choices, Ezraen! and major props to another VOTOMS fan /thumbsup Chirico 4 life
modern_nosferatu
"I feel like it's not fair that they have a helicopter!"
Ezraen
True Mazer!

Postby Ezraen » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:29 pm

Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:58 am

Animation addict ? Well... YEAH !!

Strangely, as a child I always was fascinated not only by what I was just "watching" but also how good the animation was,
the music, the story, the style, the direction... without even thinking at the time. Little by little it made me look beyond the screen.
Obviously -in my case- it has also stimulated my curiosity toward drawings/comics (Bandes Dessinées & Mangas).
And of course, later, Internet offered me the possibility to see their original versions. Most of the time it was largely better.
Today I'm just a Manga / Arts / Animation (2D/3D) / Game addict.

To answer Serbirus about the DUBS. (click the spoiler to read)

On topic.
I really like animation as a whole. It has always fascinated me.
And well, when you're a 9 years old and look at stuff like the on your little TV... It marks.
Same with 2D animated movies.
And sometimes some oddballs like... Gandahar.

One of the most disturbing things I saw as a young lad... And that is still more or less crazy to look now.

Today, I have a big crush on Japanese animation, mostly 80'/90'. Afterward it's more on a case basis.
There is gorgeous things that had been released since the 00'. But the transition to digital was harsh and not even well considered.
(a little like getting out of the PS2 to go on a more complicated way of doing games... Something that still marks Japanese
creations today). I also have a big preferences for all the styles that are more... "sketchy", be it animations or backgrounds.
Advanced technology doesn't necessarily rhyme with quality... And of my gosh that shows XD !!

It's also hard to get good things on the long terms, because the way animated series and movies are done in Japanese is
totally broken for the most parts. Having a commercial aspect to things, it can be tolerated. But that has become too
extreme in most cases now. And even great old studios can't compete these days in this kind of market.
I would wish to see more and more crowdfunding ways of doing animation today because of how desperate some studios and
creators/animators/directors are with this flawed animation society.

How long did it takes to have the second season of Mushishi... It didn't sell as much as the millions of MOE-KAWAII-BLOB getting
released at the same time, nor did it has the chance anyway. Don't even starts me on Dennou Coil, seeing a masterpiece like this
being acclaimed by all but abandoned in the end was disheartening. (At least the series is complete... not always the case).

There was always trends and stuff that were commercially followed, projects relying on them to do well.
I won't deny that. But that's really sad to see so few original projects today. Everything is mostly derived from games or light novels.
And even sometimes these latter are already derived from an animated series or movies !! XD The Ouroboros of Japanese animation.

Well, I won't continue further because there is too much to say on the subject, but... I like anime ='3
Here's a NON EXHAUSTING list of what I have/saw/liked/didn't liked, etc...
(totally not updated. Completed = I like and Keep / Dropped = I liked or disliked and don't keep).

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/trypet ... =2&order=0
Clovis15
Veteran

Postby Clovis15 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:11 am

My top five choices (in purely alphabetical order):

Inuyasha
One Piece
Soul Eater
Space Dandy
Trigun

(keep in mind that there's many things which barely failed to make the list, such as Evangelion and Fist of the North Star)
rex705
Veteran

Postby rex705 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:00 pm

EDIT: Awww man after reading some posts it seems the question was already answered :( oh well. Looks like Trypetide is an Animu pro as well.

Hello all you anime nubs Rex is here to join in. I saw you talking about why you are a nub for watching dub so I'll give you the answer. I used to be like you guys back in the early days watching the dubs and always hated people saying subs are better but now I am one of those. I'm not as hardcore as others and say most dubs are ok if that's what you like but the Japanese will always be the better choice. Why? because the quality level of voice acting between the two is no contest Japanese actors win because they know what they are doing. You can really feel the emotion and power in the Japanese voice actors but the dubs are just silly cartoon voices that don't take it serious.

Once you start watching enough sub and get used to being a fast reader you can enjoy the sweet epic ear loving quality voices. Just give a listen to the amazing Rin Okumura from Blue Exorcist and let your ears be loved and tell me the last time a dub actor ever sounded that good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe-C1ym9Adw

Take a look at my anime list - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Rex705

"The images they sell are Illusion and Dream In other words dishonesty"
laserkid
Starr Mod

Postby laserkid » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:29 pm

I don't have a problem with subs, and I exclusively watch DBZ subtitled, so I have plenty of sub experience, but I certainly do not agree that the american dubs use 'cartoon voices' and have inferior acting - there was a time that WAS true, but it hasn't been true for at least a decade...

I'm also far from new to anime, I've been collecting since the mid 90s, back then on VHS.

If you prefer subtitled, that's totally legit, but don't characterize dubs like that, because that's NOT how most dubs (if not all) are these days. The primary dub companies (FUNimation, Sentai Filmworks, Viz Media, and Aniplex America) all treat their dubs as very serious productions and it shows.
ashlybranna
Newcomer

Postby ashlybranna » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:46 am

I like!!!!!! A lot! I like Dungeon, Nanatsu no Taizai: The Seven Deadly Sins, and :P

Return to “%s” Off-Topic