Streaming music these days, your thoughts?

General off-topic discussions
von_ozbourne
Starr Mod

Re: Streaming music these days, your thoughts?

Postby von_ozbourne » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:50 pm

I'm kind of saddened over the amount of money I've spent on CDs over the years. Especially given that I probably only listen to maybe 1/10 of those bands anymore. Then I ripped them to mp3 and put the discs on a shelf...then in a box....then left them at my brother's place when I moved...two provinces away.
Needless to say that I used to like collecting the discs/cases/booklets, but say a decline in worth when many bands stopped including lyrics and stuff. Still bought the occasional CD put out by a band I really liked, but other than small indie bands, I haven't bought a new one in five years or so.
Also used to have a 120GB...then 500GB...then 1TB drive that I carried with me, but it became cumbersome and mostly full of stuff I've outgrown.
Funny enough given that I was always a stickler for audio quality, I got into the habit at my last job, of streaming music. First some internet radio sites and then when I started listening to almost exclusively instrumental and "epic" stuff, I'd just fire up youtube and put on a Prime Cronus playlist or something.
Now sadly at my current job, I listen to a lot more radio, as in FM, than I would like. Seems each station is limited to 40-120 songs on shuffle. Oh well.
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:36 am

That is interesting Von, how you went from CDs to MP3s to streaming and finally radio. Do the commercials bother you on the radio? It feels like there is a higher commercial to song ratio on FM radio vs free streaming services like Pandora.
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:40 pm

I think it's a general phenomenon around the world.
The more time pass, the more radios struggle to stay relevant and win new auditors, the more the ad ratio goes up because having programs cost a lot, and advertising the radio itself, creating new content and trying to be "actual" or "rich" in terms of content.
Same with TV (at least in France, it largely is the same).
The majority of people that can listen to radio are those who can "only do that" and "can during work".
As working places, jobs and the people concerned have changed, so the way radios work.
Internet being just a part of the equation on why it happens.

Now, many radios try getting over the web too, even doing a little different way of broadcasting that just redirecting the programs AND ads exactly identical to the normal broadcasts.
But the comparison with Pandora is of course another thing.
We don't have access to this service (we = not in the U.S.A).
But I don't know, it looks like a kind of mi-social mi-shuffle type of streaming music than a real radio. Like accessing big playlists of artists for free with some ads & stuff (not in premium of course).

Another good way of listening to music over the Internet would be the free Internet radios: no ads, less mainstream artists, free and available for all in the world.
von_ozbourne
Starr Mod

Postby von_ozbourne » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:47 pm

Oh believe me Kaz, the switch to FM was not a voluntary one, just an "only option left" one.
But to be honest, I listen to the radio instead of my iPod in my car now simply out of convenience. I don't really listen to it, just nice to have something in the background. Plus the news/traffic report is useful sometimes. And I was getting bored of the stuff I had on my iPod, and was too lazy to be constantly changing it.
But I think for me, the best option was simply YouTube playlists or mixes. I tried some online radio, but it fell into the same pattern of not enough changing of the playlists and I got bored. (Maybe the availability in Canada had something to do with that, but oh well)
Reminds me though... Yahoo used to have an interesting online radio which was basically playing anything. period. Then you rate it from 5 (this is awesome!) to 0 (play this again and I'll stab you in the face) and it would constantly update your preference. It was cool because I had Journey, VNV Nation, Sonata Arctica and Gandalf all in the same playlist. And I liked the change-ups that brought. Sadly they changed it to a basic genre based selection. Well sometimes I don't want to listen to nothing but classic rock for eight hours straight...
But yea, before I was "laid off", I would fire up a Prime Cronus 8-10 hour epic music mix (one ad and you're done) and pretend I was riding a dragon, that battled cyborg griffons, in an ice storm, while I maintained a web store.

Return to “%s” Off-Topic