Streaming music these days, your thoughts?

General off-topic discussions
Kazuo
Crew member

Re: Streaming music these days, your thoughts?

Postby Kazuo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:59 pm

TheLittlestBowl
Newcomer

Postby TheLittlestBowl » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:01 pm

Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:11 pm

TheLittlestBowl
Newcomer

Postby TheLittlestBowl » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:16 pm

Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:22 pm

laserkid
Starr Mod

Postby laserkid » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:37 pm

I like having physical media when I can, I have shelves for my games and DVDs and love being able to just look through them - that said I also have an extensive itunes and steam library from which I bought things digitally because it was cheaper and more convenient - so I like aspects of both.

Course, as we speak I've been digitizing my DVDs (that I own, not pirating stuff) for use with a Plex media server because having my own sort of Netflix is also incredibly convenient, also because I'll be moving into a dorm for school soon (long story), and not having to take all of my stuff with me will be very nice.
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:46 pm

I've looked into digitizing my movies too. Unfortunately to retain the high quality of some blu rays I would need a massive amount of storage. I have investigated online streaming options as well. Some that would verify you own the disc and then allow you to stream it from their serves without an upload. The only problem is the charge ~$6 per movie, so might as well buy them.
laserkid
Starr Mod

Postby laserkid » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:44 pm

Yeeeah storage is a pain, I bought a 4 TB drive for that purpose and haven't even broken my first terrabyte yet and have most of my anime digitzed at this point. I recommend make MKV for the raw rip, though I usually do slightly compress stuff with handbrake afterwards just so I can fit everything - nothing too crazy my blurays still look fantastic, but it does a nice job.
pillbinge
Newcomer

Postby pillbinge » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:34 pm

I put a lot of work into my music collection, by which I mean money. I always liked getting a CD as a kid, listening to it, and just admiring all the artwork and lyrics. Today it's also about having lossless audio and I can tell the difference between all the typical rates of compression. I need CDs and vinyl for that. There are some labels like Tympanik Audio that let you download whatever file type you like, but I still really like getting the CDs themselves.

I'll use Spotify to discover things and keep odd playlists. I use Android phones so it's also just simpler to have the widget and download the songs. It also helps to have two different "things" so I don't get bored of my music.

A musician I know uses it for the same purposes so I don't feel too guilty about using Spotify, but their model is atrocious and just insane.
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:55 am

That's cool. I know a lot of people that have massive CD collections. It is cool and I agree the art on the case and insert add to it but being able to take 1-2 songs from every album into one playlist really sold me on going digital.

Return to “%s” Off-Topic