Streaming music these days, your thoughts?

General off-topic discussions
Ezraen
True Mazer!

Re: Streaming music these days, your thoughts?

Postby Ezraen » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:41 pm

I used to use a lot of MP3s and winamp, but then they released Spotify in Sweden and I got hooked. A lot of the artists who initially refused to be on Spotify (Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Aerosmith, Rammstein, etc) have finally relented and joined, so I don't have to rely on mp3s anymore. I pay for premium every 6 months and I don't regret a cent of that money.

... Well, that is to say, I'm using a way outdated version of Spotify, because their move to a web-/browser- based solution was stupid. And the removal of apps was doubly stupid. And their decision to ruin the API was stupid. And the design of the modern Spotify is stupid. But super old version of Spotify is good, and it still works so I use that. I was really hopeful about Tidal, but it turns out it was just a shitty Spotify clone where 90% of the profits go to the millionaires backing it. I'm hopeful about new Google Music though. It looks really promising.
pillbinge
Newcomer

Postby pillbinge » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:58 pm

I got Spotify when I was in Norway in 2010. I brought it back to the US and loved it and no one knew what it was. My little secret. I just hate their model for paying musicians. It's basically the worst thing imaginable. What is it, $0.006 for a song? Which has to be played at least 30 seconds to count.
Ezraen
True Mazer!

Postby Ezraen » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:16 am

Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:36 am

I personally don't use stream.

I like the idea, be it that you have already a phone subscription that let's you do that of course. (not talking technicality, rather available by choice)
Now, I don't like hearing music from a device that doesn't have a great sound.
I'm more the "dedicated device" type of person, whenever it's available AND interesting.
For my music, I've a portable music device - the J3 from Cowon

As for digital music itself, I'm more inclined toward FLAC and lossless in general, with mp3 being the format of predilection for my J3,
because Less space is used obviously and, well, I don't have expensive earphones.
Plus, the J3 can equalize mostly anything you can put in your ears and makes a marvel from it. Be it sh*tty or gorgeous in term of quality.

My car loves my J3 too XD

But I'm sad to see that the "digital player" market tends too much toward the "multi-purpose" trend -video/Internet/images/games/whatever- even at Cowon.
I know the majority of people will content themselves with phones & the likes, and will even use the earphones included with them (madness!!).

Anyway, like I said I like the idea of being able to stream. But I don't really see the point when you already have a great device dedicated only to music, with
marvelous sound, big space available (than can be extended), great battery life (J3 = more or less 28H), and COMMAND BUTTONS \o/ (so precious).
Ezraen
True Mazer!

Postby Ezraen » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:10 am

Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:39 am

pillbinge
Newcomer

Postby pillbinge » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:08 pm

Spotify may not be entirely at fault or to blame but they are partly responsible. They're complicit in the business they themselves established. It's totally possible for them to have it in any contract that artists need to see a higher percentage or dollar rate. I'd imagine it's within their strategic best interests in years to come, given that Taylor Swift up and left Spotify and probably paved the way for others to do so. But they're a big business, and it's not in their interest to rock the boat. At least not yet.

Also, did Tidal officially flop? Wimp is still around from what I can tell. Were they tied together?
Kazuo
Crew member

Postby Kazuo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:40 am

So that's what this whole Taylor Swift thing has been about lately. Didn't know she had gruff with Spotify, I don't use their service.
Trypetide
Starr Mod

Postby Trypetide » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:56 am

rex705
Veteran

Postby rex705 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:48 pm

I tried out these net radio places but never got into it. I just sit and blast my epic crystal clear perfect FLAC and True Audio using Foobar2000 and billions of modifications along with my sweet surround sound speakers. It's a real pain being an audiophile everything has to be perfect. I have so many different audio enhancing programs and modifications for those programs.

"The images they sell are Illusion and Dream In other words dishonesty"

Return to “%s” Off-Topic